Planning Information


The area around the Brentwood LRT is a TOD, Transit Oriented Development.  The City of Calgary defines TOD as

a walkable, mixed-use form of area development typically focused within a 600m radius of a primary transit station – a Light Rail Transit (LRT) station or Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) stop. Higher density development is concentrated near the station to make transit convenient for more people and encourage ridership. This form of development uses existing infrastructure, optimizes use of the transit network and creates mobility options for transit riders and the local community.”  (For more information, go to and enter “transit oriented development”.)

Basically, this means that the area around the LRT will be redeveloped to allow for greater density.  Currently, most of the space is occupied by retail and commercial buildings, with residential units only in the existing four towers.  Future redevelopments will see increased residential, commercial and retail developments.

Click here for more information:

A Brentwood Station Area Redevelopment Plans (ARP) was finalized in 2009.  An ARP is a medium to long-range community planning guideline undertaken at the direction of City Council.

“ARPs contain policies that help guide the future development of individual communities. … ARPs typically address land use designations (zoning), transportation issues, open space and recreation, and some social issues.”  (Source:  “The Community Guide to the Planning Process”, City of Calgary and Federation of Calgary Communities, 2014.)

The Station ARP provides the local area policy for the site:  it sets the guidelines and standards for redevelopment in the Brentwood TOD area.  This includes aspects such as the height of buildings, the transition to adjacent residential homes, public realm space, landscaping, etc.  (Go to and enter “Brentwood Station ARP”.)

If a developer brings forth a proposal, the Station ARP gives direction to the project.  For example, the Station ARP allows for a maximum building height of 90 meters.  All redevelopment within the ARP boundary is required to meet the policies of the ARP or apply to City Council to amend the ARP.

Click here for more information:

Below are some of the terms commonly used in City of Calgary websites and documents.

Click here for the Definitions:

The City of Calgary posted a Cannabis Store Guideline.

Please click here to view Amended Attachment 5 on the City of Calgary website.

Secondary Suites

On March 12th, 2018, Calgary City Council approved changes to include secondary suites and backyard suites as a discretionary use in R-1, R-C1 and R-C1L districts. There will also be changes to the suite Registry and fee schedule.

What does this mean for the application process?
Virtually all stand-alone houses can now apply for a secondary suite or backyard/laneway housing with only a Development Permit (DP) instead of a land use redesignation (rezoning) through Council.

How does this affect current zoning?
Current zoning (R-1, R-C1 and R-C1L) will remain but property owners can apply for a suite through the discretionary application process. Secondary suites decisions will now be made by planners through a DP application instead of by Council.  Decisions can be appealed through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Will neighbours and the Community Association be able to provide input?
Yes, the Community Association (CA) and neighbours directly on either side of the applicant’s property will be notified by the City and will have three weeks to make comments. A sign will also be placed on the front lawn of the property to provide more information so that other nearby neighbours may also comment on the application.

What will happen to the suite Registry?
The existing suite Registry would be made mandatory. This means that all legal suites would have stickers and would be listed online at  All legal suites would have applied for the proper permits and have passed inspection.

How will suites be monitored?
There is no plan to monitor the legal suites once registered. Illegal suites will also be addressed through a complaints-based system only.  To report an illegal suite, call 311 or report it to 311 online.

What is the ‘policy to guide discretion’ and where can I view it?

  • This policy will help planners make decisions on when to approve a DP. Details are available at, then enter “Policy to Guide Discretion for Secondary Suites and Backyard Suites”.
  • This policy has three planning objectives:
  1. To provide guidance to the Development Authority in the use of discretion when evaluating suites.
  2. To ensure opportunities for suites are balanced with the potential impacts they may have on communities.
  3. To manage privacy issues related to Backyard Suites.

How will the application process for backyard suites be handled?

  • Backyard Suites will not become effective as discretionary uses in the affected districts until Administration returns with standards on the design of backyard suites (anticipated Q4, 2018).
  • The City will be hosting engagement on these design standards.

What are the changes to the suite Registry?

  • Administration is working on a Bylaw for the mandatory Registry. They will return to Council in the next few months to present it.
  • All occupied secondary suites must be on the mandatory Registry and the only way to be on the Registry is to have approved permits (Development Permit/Building Permits). This will ensure that the Registry consists of properly inspected suites.
  • There will be a two-year amnesty to allow owners of existing illegal suites to obtain the necessary permits and inspections to bring their suites into compliance. Contact the City Planning Department for further information.
  • After the amnesty period, a $1000 fine will be charged to any owner of a suite that is not on the Registry but is available to rent.

How can residents provide feedback on backyard suites and the Registry?

  • The details for both reports are still being worked on and the City would like to hear from you. What aspects do you think are important for backyard suite designs (i.e. height, size, shadowing, parking, etc.)?  How do you think a Registry should be implemented?
  • If you have ideas you would like to submit, please send a mail to the BCA and we will make sure it gets to the City Planners working on the detailed reports.
  • As soon as we find out about what kind of engagement the City will hold, we will post an update on the BCA website and send out a mail to everyone on the DTC or BCA lists.

If you are interested in community planning and redevelopment issues, we welcome new members to join us.  We meet at 7:00 p.m. on the first Monday of every month in the Sportsplex Boardroom.  Our next meeting is on May 7th.   Contact the BCA for more information at or at 403–284-3477.


How do I find out about possible DP applications in my neighbourhood?

–          The City of Calgary posts a notice board in front of the property where an application has been submitted

–          The City of Calgary places an ad in the Herald every Thursday showing the DP applications by neighbourhood

–          The City of Calgary lists DP applications on its website:

–          In addition, the Development and Transporation Committee has created a website for DP postings:

–          The DTC also delivers Neighbour Notifications to properties immediately adjacent to a DP application as a courtesy to those residents.

–          Finally, join the BCA and you will be added to the mailing list.

Here are some FAQs with answers based on the City of Calgary website:

Can businesses sell cannabis right now?

No.  Currently the retail sale of non-medical cannabis is illegal until the new federal legislation comes into effect.

When will DP applications get approved?

The City of Calgary will not be making any decisions or granting any approvals until the date for official legalization through Federal and Provincial law is known.

What types of cannabis businesses are going to be allowed in Calgary?

Three types:  cannabis stores, cannabis facility and cannabis counselling.

  • A cannabis store displays, sells, or offers for sale cannabis and must have a provincial retail cannabis licence.
  • A cannabis facility is a business where the primary use includes the growing, processing, producing, testing, destroying, storing, or distribution of cannabis.
  • A cannabis counselling business provides counselling by persons who are not medical professionals on cannabis use.


What types of applications has the BCA received in Brentwood?

The BCA has received 5 Development Permit (DP) applications for cannabis stores.  These are all discretionary DPs, meaning in part that the public can comment on them and that applications can be appealed to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

  1. DP2018-1944 – 1343 Northmount Dr NW, on the NE corner of Brisebois and Northmount
  2. DP2018-2251 – 1330 Northmount Dr NW, on the SW corner of Brisebois and Northmount
  3. DP2018-1826 – 4122 Brentwood Rd NW, beside the Brentwood Co-op
  4. DP2018-1717 – #110, 30 Brentwood Commons NW, in University City in the Green Building
  5. DP2018-1814 – 5505 Shaganappi Trail NW, beside the Dalhousie Co-op – (the BCA was included because of its proximity to our area)

Where are they located?

You can find all the DP applications city-wide on this map:

You will see purple and pink circles on the map:

–          The pink circles are a perimeter of 150 meters separation from the property line of schools.

–          The purple circles are 300 meter separation from another cannabis store.

What are the separation distances between cannabis stores and other uses?

–          a 300 metre separation distance between cannabis stores

–          a 150 m separation from the property line of schools

–          a cannabis store cannot be within 10 m of a childcare service

–          a cannabis store cannot be located beside a liquor store (although it could potentially be located in the same mall if there is some separation)

What if there are 2 applications within 300 metres of each other?

–          The application that was received first will be processed first (i.e. the one with the lower DP application number).  Both will not be approved.

What are the rules around public consumption of cannabis?

–          Public use rules for cannabis will be like those for public consumption of alcohol.  (For example, cannabis stores may sell the product but you can’t consume the product in their store or on the public property around the store.)

–          It will be illegal to consume cannabis in any form (smoking, vaping, or edibles) in public places. An exemption will apply for medical cannabis.

–          Council is reviewing special designated cannabis consumption areas, use at festivals, etc.

What should I consider when reviewing cannabis store files?

–          The Cannabis Store Guidelines

–          Planning rationale in the context of existing and proposed by-laws which focuses on the intended use, rather than user, when forming a response.

–          Conditions that you know of that are specific to the site and may impact the decision on whether an application should be approved:  parking, ease of access, schools or other nearby facilities, etc.

–          The BCA cannot set the policies and regulations for cannabis businesses, but we will report on what we hear from our residents.

What have Calgarians said about the Legalization of Cannabis?

–          The City of Calgary held engagement sessions and the report is available here.